The Venetian Walls are a series of defensive walls that surround the city of Nicosia. The first walls were constructed in the Middle Ages, however they were totally remade in the mid-sixteenth century by the Republic of Venice. The walls are still to a great extent in place, and are among the best saved Renaissance fortresses in the Eastern Mediterranean. They are a major tourist attraction.
Medieval Venetian Walls
The initial walls surrounding Nicosia in the 14th century were built by the Franks and covered more area than the later Venetian walls of the 16th century which surround the old city until today.
The Famagusta Gate is the most important of the gates of the Venetian times Nicosia opened onto the road that led to the most important port, Famagusta, where it got its name from.
The Paphos Gate was one of the three entrances to the walls built by the Venetians around the city of Nicosia. The road that starts just outside the southwest gate led to Paphos, where it got its name. It is located just 30 meters from the hotel.
Laiki Yitonia (Old Town)
In this area, the renovated houses are typical examples of traditional Cypriot urban architecture, and currently used as shops, restaurants and art workshops.
The Old Archbishop’s Palace was an 18th century building in the heart of Nicosia, a religious, national and political monument which is closely related to the modern Cypriot history. Today, the Archbishop’s Palace is a relatively new building and destroyed in June 1974 in an attempt to assassinate the President of Cyprus, Archbishop Makarios. The statue in front of the building is the aforementioned ex-President Archbishop Makarios.
Hamam Omeriye is a true example of the rich culture and diversity of Cyprus, a stone work of inspiration, but also a sense of freedom and flexibility.
The Mansion Axiothea
The mansion Axiothea is one of the most characteristic examples of urban architecture from the 18th century.
The Statue of Liberty
The Statue of Liberty symbolizes the struggle for Cyprus independence from Britain.
Nicosia Town Hall
It is located between the old medieval city walls and the modern city that lies outside the walls. It is accommodated in an existing building from 1944.
The Pancyprian Gymnasium was founded in 1812 by Archbishop Cyprianos at a time when Cyprus was still under Ottoman rule. It is the oldest secondary school in operation on the island.
Nicosia Multipurpose center
The Municipal Centre for Modern Community and Cultural Services created to house social programs.
It is located approximately opposite the Statue of Liberty and very close to the Archbishopric and Famagusta Gate.